NYC Congestion Pricing Delayed Indefinitely, Gov. Hochul Says
Congestion pricing in New York City was expected to begin on June 30. New York City Gov. Kathy Hochul has ordered the MTA to indefinitely pause the congestion pricing program, which was set to start on June 30. The decision was made following reports that Hochuls had been considering ending the program. She stated that she remains committed to public transit investments and is currently exploring other funding sources. This decision has been met with reactions from transit advocates, who believe it is a slap at the millions of New Yorkers who rely on public transportation. The current plan, which includes a base toll of $15 for drivers entering Manhattan at 60th Street or below, will apply from 5 a.m. to 9 p.m., and from 9 a.M. and 9 p., respectively, on weekdays, and from weekends, nighttime toll rates will be $3.75.

Pubblicato : 10 mesi fa di David Luces in Politics
The announcement comes following reports from the New York Times and POLITICO that Hochul had been considering pausing the program, which was scheduled to start on June 30. In a video released Wednesday afternoon, Hochul confirmed that she had directed the MTA to indefinitely pause the congestion pricing program, citing "circumstances have changed."
"My team worked in the final hours to find a way to implement [the program], but hardworking New Yorkers are getting hammered on costs," she said. Hochul added that she remains "committed" to investments in public transit, and she and her team are currently exploring other funding sources.
The last minute decision by the governor prompted a number of reactions from transit advocates. Delaying congestion pricing is a slap in the face to the millions of New Yorkers who rely on public transportation every day just to appease the program’s loudest foes. Congestion pricing is a $15 billion lifeline for the MTA – critical funding that will be lost if the program is stalled," Elizabeth Adams, Deputy Executive Director for Public Affairs at Transportation Alternatives, said in a statement.
"The next time your train is late, your bus is trapped in traffic, your subway station is still missing an elevator, you know who to blame: Governor Kathy Hochul." In addition, there were about five lawsuits in New York and New Jersey aim to scuttle congestion pricing.
According to media reports, the decision to pause the program may have stemmed from pressure from Democratic candidates, who are expecting to be in tight races and view congestion pricing as a polarizing issue. How it’ll work, who will pay Under the current plan, most drivers entering Manhattan at 60th Street or below will face a base toll of $15 when congestion pricing commences. "Toll rates will vary by type of vehicle and time of day," the MTA's new congestion pricing website states. "Passenger vehicles and motorcycles will only be charged once per day."
Those tolls will be tallied by toll readers that have already been installed on Manhattan streets enclosing what the MTA calls the Congestion Relief Zone, aside from the FDR Drive and West Side Highway. The $15 base toll will apply from 5 a.m. to 9 p.m. on weekdays, and from 9 a.m. and 9 p.m. on weekends. Nighttime toll rates will be $3.75.